A new study that looked at the “giving back” plans of 1,000 engaged couples in the United States finds that 64% intend to make supporting a charitable cause part of their upcoming wedding celebration.
With 2.5 million weddings expected in the United States in 2022, that amounts to more than 1.5 million weddings, including associated events such as bridal showers and gift registries.
The study was commissioned by the nonprofit organization VOW for Girls, which aims at putting a stop to child marriages around the world.
According to the VOW for Girls CEO Clay Dunn, these results show that with more than $60 billion to be spent on weddings in the U.S. in 2022, couples are realizing that they can use their wedding to have an important impact.
Giving back increasingly forms an integral part of the celebrations
The study also showed that couples also increasingly plan to make charitable giving a part of their guests’ experience as well.
For example, almost two-thirds of participants indicated that they plan to add a “donation” option to their wedding registry, where friends and family would be asked to make a charitable donation instead of a gift to the couple.
And 72% of respondents said they would be more likely to hire a wedding organizer if that company also donates part of its profit to a charitable cause.
Which causes are couples keen on giving back to?
The leading category, with 67%, was in the field of causes and organizations that support women (and girls).
Close behind were causes that focus on education, poverty, and health. Other popular categories included climate change and animal rights.
How will giving back to the community take place at these weddings?
The study also asked participants how they plan to implement their giving back strategy into their wedding plans.
The most-cited method was to make a donation in honor of their guests.
This was followed by asking guests to make a donation either in addition to, or instead of, a gift.
Another form of helping others is to include items on the registry where part of the sale price goes to a charitable organization.
Likewise, some respondents indicated that they would make their bridal shower into a kind of charitable fundraiser, at least in part.
Top 10 inspirational quotes on giving back to the community
Giving back to the community takes on many forms. It’s also a great way to develop yourself as a person, to honor your roots, and immerse yourself in your culture.
It can be anything from volunteering at events, donating money or clothes, or giving your time to help out someone in need.
There are limitless ways you can give back, and you don’t need a wedding invitation to get started!
Below are 10 quotes about giving back to the community that will hopefully serve as a source of inspiration. It’s never too late to get started!
- “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth.” – Muhammad Ali
- “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” – Oscar Wilde
- “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – William Shakespeare
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
- “The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves.” – Helen Keller
- “It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.” – Albert Einstein
- “Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens
Photo: by Quang Nguyen Vinh from Pexels