There are as many dreams of being pregnant as there are pregnant women, and they call all be interpreted in many different ways.
It’s important to understand the context of the dream before interpreting it, as well as the circumstances surrounding it.
Below is a handy explainer about pregnancy dreams, and what they might mean for you.
What you will learn in this article:
- 1 1. When did research into “pregnancy dreams” begin?
- 2 2. What is the most common pregnancy dream content?
- 3 🔥 Ready to meet your Twin Flame?
- 4 3. I keep having dreams of being pregnant. What does that mean?
- 5 4. What is the spiritual meaning of being pregnant in a dream?
- 6 5. I keep having dreams about positive pregnancy tests. What does that mean?
- 7 👼FREE birth chart numerology reading
- 8 6. What do pregnancy dreams mean when you’re not pregnant?
- 9 7. What about pregnancy dreams about twins and triplets?
- 10 8. Can pregnancy dreams can actually influence a pregnancy?
- 11 9. Are pregnancy dreams common? Yes, and they often provide valuable insights
- 12 10. Extra: four easy ways to get more information from your pregnancy dreams:
1. When did research into “pregnancy dreams” begin?
Research into the dreams of pregnant women dates back to at least the 1940s.
Many studies since then have found that pregnant women report having more dreams than nonpregnant women.
And the frequency of these dreams tends to increase during the pregnancy.
In fact, most dreams are reported in the third trimester of pregnancy.
2. What is the most common pregnancy dream content?
By far, the most common recurring subject matter in these pregnancy dreams involves the baby itself, especially its physical appearance or health.
Other common pregnancy-related dreams involve the actual processes of labor and birth, as well as dreams about parenting.
🔥 Ready to meet your Twin Flame?
Do you know what your Twin Flame soulmate looks like? 💓
Master Wang (王师傅) is a psychic artist and master of astrology famous in China for being able to draw anyone's soulmate.
Thousands of people have found love thanks to Master Wang's gift.
Answer just a few simple questions and Master Wang will draw you a picture of your Twin Flame soulmate.
Don't delay! Yes, I want my Twin Flame soulmate drawing!
3. I keep having dreams of being pregnant. What does that mean?
Some people might interpret these dreams as meaning that you’re anxious about starting a family, or feeling like you have a lot of pressure to start one.
It’s true that some people experience these feelings before they get pregnant, but it is possible for dreaming about being pregnant to happen at any point in someone’s life.
- In most cases, these dreams are not a result of something physical. Pregnancy dreams can be caused by a powerful need to have children, or an instinctual desire to protect oneself and the future of one’s family. It is not uncommon for women who are pregnant (or who are considering becoming pregnant) to experience these types of dreams.
- Pregnancy dreams could be a sign from your subconscious that you are ready for motherhood.
- Such a dream can also symbolize new beginnings for someone who is longing to become a mother.
- Dreams of being pregnant can also represent anxiety about starting another life and the responsibility that comes with it.
- If you’ve been pregnant before, and in your dream you realize that you’re pregnant again, this could mean that your subconscious is preparing your body for the next pregnancy.
Pregnancy dreams are very common for expecting mothers. This is because the hormonal and physical changes that happen during pregnancy can make the environment in your body feel different.
In fact, one of the most common things that pregnant mothers dream about is their pregnancy itself.
These dreams can represent different things for different people but it’s always important to talk to your doctor if you have any concerns about them.
4. What is the spiritual meaning of being pregnant in a dream?
If you’ve been dreaming of being pregnant, or seeing yourself pregnant in a dream, this may reflect spiritual concerns that you may have been having.
For example, this dream may represent your own spiritual potential that you are ready to bring into the world.
In cases like this, a Reiki Energy Bracelet can help you balance your major energy centers and protect you from negative influences.
Alternatively, this dream symbol may also represent a kind of “spiritual fertility“: new beginnings on your path to enlightenment, and the potential for spiritual growth.
Of course, it’s also possible that you are simply processing some aspect of your own femininity or sexuality. Pregnancy dreams can often be about issues related to these topics.
The spiritual meaning of someone being pregnant in a dream is something that philosophers have pondered for centuries, and the field is rich with metaphors and symbolism.
For example, the pregnant woman’s womb has been likened to the entrance to the transcendental world, or even to the universe itself.
Moreover, the baby growing inside her is often seen as a symbol of spiritual potential, hope, and new beginnings.
No matter what the specific meaning of your dream may be, it’s important to consider how it makes you feel.
For example, if the dream is a positive one, then it may be a sign that you are on the right track in your spiritual journey.
But if the dream is frightening or upsetting, it may be a sign that you need to make some changes in your spiritual life or spiritual practice.
In either case, pay attention to your dreams and trust your intuition to guide you towards the answers you seek.
5. I keep having dreams about positive pregnancy tests. What does that mean?
Dreams are a manifestation of our deepest desires, fears, and worries. A dream about a positive pregnancy test could be a metaphor.
Maybe that person might want to get pregnant, but is too afraid or has some other fear that is preventing them from doing so.
They might also be wishing they were pregnant and dreaming about it, because they feel it would be the perfect solution to their current problems.
The interpretation of dreams is a complicated and subjective process.
And that means there are many psychological factors that may cause you to dream about a positive pregnancy test.
For example, it could show that you want to get pregnant or be a sign of anxiety, for example that you are pregnant even if you don’t know for sure yet.
While a “pregnancy test” dream could refer to a past experience, it could also be a sign of hope or happiness.
Likewise, it could be a simple reminder that someone out there is looking out for you.
👼FREE birth chart numerology reading
This free forecast will reveal insights on love, career, and relationships in the coming months that you've never seen. 😺
In this free reading, celebrated numerologist Aiden Power holds nothing back as he reveals everything you need to know about your past, present, and future.
Over the years, he has shown hundreds of his clients how to awaken their Highest Self, tap into hidden talents, and open new doors to golden opportunities.
6. What do pregnancy dreams mean when you’re not pregnant?
It’s not uncommon to have pregnancy dreams when you’re not pregnant.
These dreams can be caused by many things, such as the woman’s deep desire for a child, or even a TV show or movie you recently watched that talked about pregnancy.
A study conducted by the University of North Carolina suggests that dreams about pregnancy are very common for women who aren’t pregnant.
The study examined over 100 pregnant and non-pregnant women.
The research found that 83% of the participants who were not pregnant dreamt about being pregnant, and it seems to be a way for them to prepare themselves for motherhood down the road.
7. What about pregnancy dreams about twins and triplets?
Pregnant women often dream about twins, triplets, and other multiples.
While these dreams might seem strange at first glance, they are not just random thoughts.
Dreams about multiples can be symbolic, and should not always be taken literally.
Due to this often symbolic nature, these dreams do not need to carry any real meaning.
There are different types of “multiple birth” dreams that a pregnant woman might experience.
- Twins: If a pregnant woman has a dream about twins, it could of course be an indication that she is expecting twins. But a dream about twins can also be interpreted to mean that the dreamer feels “twinned” with someone else (for example their partner). Or even that they feel there are twins within themselves, in the sense of being “of two minds” about an important aspect of their lives. A dream about twins might indicate that the woman is thinking about her future, and what it will be like to raise multiple children.
- Triplets: Likewise, if a pregnant woman dreams about triplets, it could simply mean that she is longing for triplets. But a dream about triplets can also be seen as a sign that the woman is ready to start her family and have more children. Triplets are a sign of extreme fertility. Their unusualness is both a blessing and a miracle.
- More than three children: A dream about more than three children does not necessarily mean that the woman wants more than three children. It could just be an emotional need to have or take care of many children, and may not represent her current pregnancy desires.
We can never be sure what a dream means, but it does tell us something about the dreamer.
Dreams are often wishful thinking. In the case of multiples, the woman might have been wishing that she could have more children than she could actually have in reality.
8. Can pregnancy dreams can actually influence a pregnancy?
A 2004 study in the journal Holistic Nursing Practice found that the dreams pregnant women experience can play a role on how that pregnancy goes. “Dreams can affect pregnancy outcomes,” the authors write.
In particular, the study looked at “sleep disturbances caused by dreams.”
Their research led to the identification of several main categories of pregnancy dreams.
Those included dreams about the baby, dreams about the actual birth experience, and dreams about becoming a parent.
A common theme that pregnant women reported in many of these dreams was worry about their partners not being present for the birth.
This suggests the importance of having partners on hand during the birthing process, to offer support.
The study also offers strategies to support these women before they give birth.
For example, the authors found that many pregnant women experience “strange” pregnancy dreams, but are afraid to share them at the risk of being seen as odd.
Doctors can help by providing reassurance to women, for example by discussing just how common such pregnancy dreams are, and even by proactively asking the women about such dreams.
Doing so would give women the opportunity to discuss any anxieties they may be feeling, and would give doctors, nurses, and midwives the chance to stress the “normalcy” of these dreams.
9. Are pregnancy dreams common? Yes, and they often provide valuable insights
Pregnancy dreams are a concern for many women, but it is important to know that they are actually quite common, and can provide valuable insights into a woman’s state of mind.
One of the most interesting things about pregnancy is the way that a person’s dreams can take on a new meaning.
The most important thing to do is to remember your own dreams as much as you can, and to talk about them with your partner, doctor, or midwife. The more information they have, the better,
10. Extra: four easy ways to get more information from your pregnancy dreams:
- Write down your dreams as soon as you wake up.
- Talk to a friend or family member about what they think your dream means.
- Look up dream interpretation on the internet.
- Write out a list of things that you associate with your dream images.
Thanks for reading! Check out more of our dream-related articles below.
More articles about dreams and dream interpretation
- What does it mean if you have dreams about teeth falling out? Here are 5 simple takeaways.
- What does it mean if you dream about someone?
- What are dreams about snakes trying to tell you?
- When we have dreams about water, we may be looking for rejuvenation (or trying to wash away our dark thoughts…)
- Why do you dream about losing your hair?
- What does dreaming about bees mean? Bee dreams range across the whole spectrum of common dream scenarios.